Sales meetings are often the difference between profit and loss or even success and failure. Staff can get more organised and focused in one hour when a good sales meeting is part of their regular routine. It can serve to motivate them and get them into a routine of planning and prioritising their activities. Everyone should take part and become involved. All concerned will profit from a good sales meetings.
If a team member raises a question about the need for a sales meeting, the reply is that the sales meeting is an integral part of the whole sales process, for the following reasons:
- Information Sharing
- Creating an Action List for the coming week
- Share and celebrate the good results
- Analyse and work together to understand the bad results, so that improvements can be made.
Sales Meeting Logistics
Best day of the week? It depends, but Monday sets a focus for the remainder of the working week.
Best time of the day? First thing in the morning is best. Try starting no later than 9:30 a.m.
Best location? Ideally the location will be in a meeting room at the venue where the sales team are located.
Room set-up? Avoid the classroom setting. Interaction is important; if you’re in a conference room, try putting the tables in a U-shape
Always celebrate success – no matter how small. Remember, every ‘win’ takes you closer to your sales targets! Never humiliate a sales person or use as a bad example. Praise in public; criticise in private.
Sample Sales Meeting Agenda
Whether you send the agenda out 48 hours in advance or hand it out as people walk in the door, it’s important to have an agenda and stick to it. If you’re not sure what to include, here are a few suggestions:
- Examine the pipeline; follow with a discussion on who will do what in the coming week.
- Celebrate successes!
- Individual customer progress reports.
- Action List is a good way to ensure all actions agreed at meeting are reported at the next meeting.
- Priorities this week (Action List)
- Other business
Breed Lewis is a Director at Macanta Consulting and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org